Snowy Owl Invasion

Here is a video I liked on snowy owls.  I have seen them in the wild once myself in the North Cascades here in Washington State.  Back when I was in high school (middle school too for that matter), I was in the boy scouts and every summer, my troop usually had 2 traditions 1) boy scout summer camps (usually went to either Fire Mountain in Mount Vernon or Camp Parsons along the Hood Canal, though one year we went to a camp along the Oregon coast).  The other tradition 2) was to go on a week long 50 mile hike.  Washington State is great for potiential 50 mile hikes.  Lots of different terrains from here in the Seattle area.  To the west of Seattle are the Kitsap Penninsula, the Olympic mountains and penninsula, Puget Sound, and on the west end of the state is the Pacific Ocean.  To the north are Whidbey Island, Camano Island, the San Juan Islands, as well as British Columbia Canada (huge canadian province).  To the east are the cascade mountains and eventually, high desert (goes pretty fast going either Interstate 90 or highway 2).  To the south are places like Mount Rainer national park, Mount Saint Helens, and even the columbia river.  Plenty of options for day hikes, overnight hikes, and 50 mile hikes (one year, the troop did a hike where they started at Snoqualime Pass and hiked up to Stevens Pass), and don't forget that the Pacific Crest Trail runs through this state too (going north to Canada and south to Oregon and beyond).  Anyways, one year, I went on a 50 mile hike where we hiked around the Ross Lake area in the North Cascades National park, and on one of the days I was hiking (I think the second day if I remember correctly), as I was going up the trail, I saw a snowy owl fly by.  Short sighting, but I remember seeing it quite vividly.  Haven't seen them in the wild since then, but I am sure the possibility is always there, especially in the mountains (hey, I finally had some new red fox sightings and encounters back in 2017 along with a sighting I had near Monroe in 2016, a first since the time I was in Wisconsin many years ago and it is not every day you see red foxes in the wild either, unless if you live in an area where they are quite common like on San Juan Island or London England).  Anyways, check out this video.  On a side note, I did see one at Northwest Trek last year too (they have both snowy owls and barn owls on display there).  Also, I think a great horned owl has taken up residence in my area too.  If I see one with my night vision monoculars or trail cam, I will be sure to share it.


Sponsored links section



Featured ads from Amazon

Comments