Stellar's Blue Jay feeding frenzy, plus an Oppossum sighting at the end ...

Got a stellar's jay (Washington State's version of blue jays) feeding frenzy going on yesterday. 







A longer version of the video can be found at https://youtu.be/hmO8Mn4lo48



Commentary:



I definitely have a story worth sharing with this video.  On Thursday, I did an experiment where I put out some back yard feed almost right in front of the trail camera and sure enough squirrels and stellar's jays (blue jays) started swarming in and basically devoured all of the food and I got lots of footage of them doing so.  For Friday, I was hoping to lure out some carnivores (such as a coyote, bobcat, red fox, mountain lion, etc) and try and get footage them on my trail camera, so I put out more food, this time placing a box in front of the camera with a left over chicken wing from Safeway, some left over tuna fish, dry dog food, cheese, sliced turkey, and even 2 raw eggs.  I didn't get any carnivores coming by, however like Thursday's experiment, the stellar's jays (I like to call them blue jays) swarmed in and ate just about all of the food there over the course of the day (except for the 2 eggs).  If you are into birds, this can be quite entertaining to watch.  The shorter version is about 16 minutes long (the long version is over an hour long) and basically covers footage of the jays during the course of the day along with the oppossum I saw on camera that night.  Squirrels were present too, though they seemed to avoid the food unlike the day before. 



I was definitely taking a chance doing this experiment and I didn't really know how it would turn out, though it seems like putting out meat on a sunny day is a sure way to attract birds, like blue jays.  As for the 2 eggs, I left them out in the open right by where my camera is set up (and in plain sight).  Hopefully something will get the 2 eggs (like a fox or a coyote) tonight.  Stay tuned for more videos.  On lesson learned too: if I am going to try and lure out say a coyote for example, I may want to wait till evening (when it starts getting dark) before putting out food.  Never occurred to me that it would attract stellar's jays instead.

Comments