Pictures from the Olympic Game Farm in Sequim back in September

Hey everybody.  I am sorry for not posting these pictures sooner (working almost full time lately between Crossmark and Advantage Sales and Marketing).  Anyways, my birthday falls on the 26th of September every year, and my family usually does something special to celebrate my birthdays.  I turned 33 years old this last year and do you know what I did: went to the Olympic Game Farm.  It was actually a surprise and I didn't really know we were going there till we got to Sequim.  It was actually one of 3 things we did, along with visiting Port Gamble and even having dinner at Port Townsend afterwards. Anyways, while at the Olympic Game Farm, I was sure to get a bunch pictures while I was there with my windows phone.  These pictures below are not all of the pictures I took, but I picked them out of the bunch I took.  For those of you who are not familiar with the Olympic Game Farm, it is basically a Wildlife Safari style zoo park located along the Olympic Penninsula near Sequim and houses a wide variety of animals.  Interestingly, at one time, it housed retired animal actors after they stopped appearing in movies (such as Disney movies).  Not sure if they still have animal actors or not (I was told most of them have passed away from old age over the years), but they still have a good number of animals you can see.  Generally it is basically a "drive through" park where visitors can drive through the park and even feed animals with the foods they give you to feed the animals.  Plenty of animals to see, including wolves, elk, bears, bison, moose, goats, sheep, and even a variety of birds. 

Here is a picture of the general route my family took going there, taking the Edmonds Kingston Ferry and driving out to the Olympic Penninsula. 
Picture of the Olympic Game farm sign near Sequim.  Found this picture on Flickr.  The park is a short drive north of downtown Sequim.

Arriving at the Olympic Game Farm park

Here is a picture of my folks at the park.  I like how the zoo has pictures of random animals on the side there.

Picture of a grey wolf "smiling" for the camera.  Apparently, these wolves are tame enough that zoo keepers can walk them on leash.  Food for thought.  Do wolves live in Western Washington? My understanding is that they are being reintroduced in various parts of Washington, most notably on the Olympic Penninsula and in Eastern Washington.  Personally I have never seen a wolf in the wild here in Washington (besides the ones in zoos) and apparently there have been sightings of them in Western Washington (see http://wdfw.wa.gov/conservation/gray_wolf/reporting/sightings.html) for a map of reported wolf sightings), but I am not sure if they exist in Western Washington or not (though they do seem to be more common in British Columbia Canada).  However, in my neck of the woods, wolves usually seem to come in the form of coyotes.  I have seen coyotes on various occasions, most recently while driving towards Monroe yesterday (one crossed the road and went into the woods as I was driving) and you can hear their howls, usually late at night.  Do any of you have any wolf sightings worth sharing?  I would love to hear it. 

Picture of european fallow deer at the Olympic Game farm.  They are quite common there and love food hand outs you give them.

picture of a deer trying to keep up with my dad's truck as we were driving (yes we were in a pickup truck during the tour).

Entering the area with buffalo. Like other animals,  they love hand outs and will try to reach for them with their long tongues.  Interestingly, the park recommends people do not stop in that section, but they can definitely slow down traffic when out and about and will approach vehicles for food handouts. 

Picture of an elk at the game farm.  They share the same habitat as the buffalos.  Interestingly, they do seem to exist in the wild here in Washington (outside the park) and I have seen warning signs of elk crossing on various highways and freeways throughout the state (most notably on highway 101 along the olymic peninsula and on interstate 90).

Not sure if these are wolves or coyotes.  The park seems to have both kinds of species.  They look more like wolves than coyotes to me though

Picture of a grizzly bear at the Olympic game farm.  Apparently, he is the bear that will "wave you good bye" according to the commercials.  In western Washingtion, I have never seen a grizzly bear in the wild, but I have seen black bears on at least 3 occasions.  One time I even saw a bear when driving down the hill in my neighborhood (he literally ran across the road while my mother was driving towards town running errands).  Grizzlies do seem to exist in the cascades though, especially at north cascades national park along highway 20 near Ross Lake. 

Me getting a selfie with a grizzly bear out the window

Another picture of the grizzly bear

Yes, there are zebras at the Olympic Game farm.  Apparently there are lions, red foxes and coyotes too.  Never saw the lion though and forgot to get pictures of the coyotes and foxes (phone ran out of batteries though).
Well that is all of the pictures I took.  I am sure you can find more pictures of the park on the web.  By the way, the Olympic Game Farm does have a website you can visit.  You can check it out at http://olygamefarm.com/.

I hope you enjoyed this post and I am planning to do another visit sometime this year (probably the Woodland Park Zoo) and will try to get more pics whenever I go.  This visit actually marks the second time I visited the Olympic Game farm (went there one other time towards the end of my college years while attending Northwest University).

Comments