NWF article on Red Fox (trying out the blog this widget)

Thought I would share an article on Red Fox at nwf.org.  Pretty informative article:



'via Blog this'

Picture of a fox from their website


Here is an article I liked from www.nwf.org on red foxes.  Pretty informative.  I've defnitely been pretty curious about red foxes this last year (started around the time I visited Wisconsin last year).  Although I have learned alot about them over this last year (especially when watching the fox family cam on the Simon King Wildlife website).  On top of that, although it was a long time since the time I saw a fox at Penninsula State Park in Door County Wisconsin as a kid (was probably in 3rd or 4th grade back then), I do finally have some new encounters of red foxes to share for this year.  Most notable ones were:

1. Cross fox sighting near Monroe.  Was driving along one of the back roads near Monroe one night last December (been doing more driving after getting hired onto crossmark, going from store to store), and saw what looked like a cross phase red fox.  They are basically red foxes with darker fur and what looks like a black mask around their face.  Was driving at the time (plus I had cars behind me), otherwise I would have gotten a better look at it, but I could make out its body and bushy looking tail.  Interestingly, I haven't seen that fox since that day, but I have been keeping my eyes peeled for that fox whenever I drive that road, especially late in the evening or at night.

2. The red foxes at Northwest Trek.  Yes, I did get pictures and footage of the foxes there.  Who said they are impossible to see there?  I got some videos and pictures of them, like this video below (took it back in May):
Interestingly, it seems like I may be the only one to post videos of red foxes from Northwest Trek on Youtube so far (videos of them are hard to find, but I managed to get a few videos of them).  Sure sometimes they can be hit and miss (especially when I was there in October with them hiding in their dens), but I tend to find them easier to spot than the coyotes and cougars there.  They say one way to go about seeing them is to hang around the exhibit for a bit (say 20 minutes or so) and sometimes (though not always), they will come out to say hi (though I was able to confirm that back in May).  One of the foxes was sleeping at first, but eventually the fox woke up and came out to say hi (hence the video above).  They were alot more active in July too when I was there (at one point I could see both of them running around in their enclosure).

3. Foxes on San Juan Island (perhaps the biggest encounter so far).  I heard that San Juan Island (especially the American Camp and South Beach area) is a really good place to see foxes in the wild here in Washington State and I wanted to see it for myself.  Well, in October, I finally got my chance to visit the island and saw not one, but 8 different foxes there (mostly the red kinds and silver kinds) and got video of one of them (it is a little cheesy, but I only had my windows phone at the time and I didn't want to spook the fox when trying to get footage of it).

I also visited Mount Rainer back in September, but didn't see any of the cascade red foxes there that time.  Not as easy to spot as I thought, though I might consider revisiting the park someday when I get another opportunity.

There were also the foxes I have seen on the Simon King Wildlife website too (especially on the fox family cam).

What do you think of red foxes?  Do you get foxes in your area.  one of my neighbors thinks we might get foxes in my own neighborhood here in Snohomish, but I have yet to see it, but if I see it, I will be sure to let you all know.  Interestingly, my neighborhood also has coyotes and are usually much more common to see than foxes are where I live (got some coyotes coming through my back yard sometimes too). 

You might also like (sponsored content from Uvioo):

Friendly Baby Fox!

Comments