Humpback whale performing near Juneau Alaska

Here is a highlight from my cruise to alaska: seeing humpback whales.  These creatures are huge and are a pretty common sight in Alaska during the summer months.  I live in the Seattle area and it is not every day you see humpback whales here in the Puget Sound, but up in Alaska, if you know when to go and where to look for them, they can be quite the sight to see.



This was quite the sighting I had.  In case if you don't know, back in August, I went on a cruise to Alaska via the Emerald Princess and it was pretty interesting going there once again.  They start out in Seattle and go in this order:
- Leave Seattle (day 1)
- Arrive in Ketchickan (day 3)
- Tracy Arm Fjord and Juneau (day 4)
- Skagway (Day 5)
- Victoria British Columbia (Day 7 in the evening).

Anyways, on the Juneau portion of the trip, I did the whale watching excursion and sure enough I definitely got my share of whale sightings, with the most memorable one being the one I got on video.  If you are looking for a good excursion to do in Juneau Alaska, I definitely recommend the whale watching one.  They take you out in some boats into the bay and more often than not, you are almost guaranteed to see a whale or two (often more).  I can't promise you will see whales every time, but the tour company does offer a $100 money back guarantee on sightings and apparently have yet to have refund requests (or so they claim) so chances are pretty high you are likely to see some whales, especially if you know where to look.  Some tips from my experience:

- Bring binoculars.  Great way to see whales in the distance
- Bring a digital camera.  Bear in mind that sightings usually come and go rather quickly.  So fast reflexes is a must.
- I find that the best view is on the top deck of the boat, though it can get crowded at times, so be ware of that.  BTW they do offer "private" whale watching excursions (with less people), but they cost more to go on.
- Dress for cooler weather (a jacket or sweatshirt is good to have, plus some rain gear should it rain).
- Keep your eyes peeled.  You never know where you might see a whale (the excursion definitely keeps you on your toes) and it can be easy to miss sightings if you are not paying attention.

Comments