Watch wild red foxes on web cam

Have you ever wanted to see a red fox in the wild but don't know where to look with them.  Let's face it: the red fox is a pretty well known animal in most of the northern hemisphere and has a huge range all across Asia, Europe and even North America (Australia too), but these animals are quite elusive and can be diffcult to find and are often most active at night.  To date, I have only seen 2 red foxes in the wild myself (once at Penninsula State Park when I was a kid in Wisconsin and once near Monroe Washington).  Anyways, if you ever want to see a fox in the wild, you are in luck.  I stumbled upon some web cams at http://www.simonkingwildlife.com/page/live-cams/fox-family-cam-966 and http://www.simonkingwildlife.com/page/live-cams/badger-fox-feeder-cam-964

Here is a screen shot of a red fox I got on the Fox Family web cam at http://www.simonkingwildlife.com/page/live-cams/fox-family-cam-966 if you visit their website and watch the camera, you just might see a live fox in action (along with other animals)
I came across these sites just a few days ago, but the cams can be pretty interesting to watch.  They can seem boring and uneventful at times, but every now and then you are likely to see some animals, including mice, squirels, birds, badgers, and maybe even a fox or two.

Here are some of the other screen shots I got:

Here is a red fox "posing" for the camera on the badger fox camera.  Looked like he (I have no idea what gender the foxes are, so I will refer to them as he generic).

Here is the fox walking into full view of the camera.  Note that the foxes are most active at night in my opinion.

Here is a badger on the camera

Another picture of the badger
I have been watching the 2 cameras off and on the last few days and I have definitely had several sightings of the foxes (alot more than I have here at home).  Sightings are most common at night and usually last for about a minute or two before the foxes move on or get scared away (probably camera shy). I think the people filming the foxes leave out food for them to eat (can be a clever way to attract them) and sometimes they can be seen eating in front of the cameras.

Here is a video on youtube that talks about the backstory of the fox family camera:


Interestingly the web cams even caught a burgler once too (I guess he wasn't expecting to be on camera)



Well, that is all for now (btw you can see more of their videos at https://www.youtube.com/user/simonkingwildlife)

Notes and tips on viewing the web cameras for foxes:
- Sightings are going to be hit and miss.  Sometimes you might see the foxes and sometimes you won't.  Patience is key here, though I find that if you check back often, you are likely to see one sooner or later
- There is more than one cam.  2 I often check are the ones of the garden and the badger fox cam.  If you don't see anything happening in one camera, you can always check the other one.  Tabbed browsers like Microsoft Edge can be useful for watching both cameras
- Watch for lags as I have noticed that there tends to be a lag sometimes when watching the footages.
- foxes aren't the only animals you are likely to see.  You may also see squirels, rabbits, badgers (at least on the badger cam), birds and even mice.
- Best time to watch for foxes (and badgers for that matter): night time (London time).  While they may come out in the day sometimes, your best bet for seeing foxes come out is at night.  All of the sightings I have had so far take place at night, london time.  Obviously, living in on the West coast in America myself, there is at least an 8 hour time difference between Seattle and London, so you do have to factor in the time zone difference too.
- Encounters with foxes are likely to be brief too as they usually run off after a about a minute or two (probably shy of the cameras).

Be sure to take screenshots of sightings you encounter if you want to share them (I use Printscrn and paint for capturing screen shots).

Feel free to check out the cameras and share your experiences in the comment section below.  I can't promise you will have sightings, but you never know.  I have seen several different foxes (they usually come out randomly) on the cams since I have started watching them, all night time sightings, so if you don't see them right away, be sure to check back periodically.

Disclaimer: I don't own www.simonkingwildlife.com nor am I affiliated with them in any way.  Just an independent blogger.  if you have any questions about the cameras or the wildlife sighted on them, you are welcome to contact the owner of that website (alternatively, you can connect with them on twitter and youtube).

Comments