Washington State Fair (Puyallup Fair) Pictures 2014

As promised here are all of the pictures I took at the Washington State Fair (aka the Puyallup Fair).  I wanted to take more pictures than I did, but my camera phone's batteries died about half way through my time there.  I tried to charge the phone the night before, but I am not sure if it charged all the way or not as the charge on my phone was already less than half full by the time I got to the fair.  Also, I was originally planning to go to the fair with the Young Professionals Group through the city church but I didn't see anyone I recognized from the group there (makes me wondered if everyone bailed at the last minute), so I pretty much did my own thing there.  By the way, are you thinking about going to the Washington State Fair?  They do have a website you can check out at http://www.thefair.com/. Also, the fair is on this year from September 5 to 21.  Here are the pictures I took:
Arrived at the fairgrounds via the Green Gate.  Usually I find parking near the fair grounds, but as I was driving to Puyallup, I found out that the Kiwanis were offering shuttle services for a mere $5 (which was about half price in comparison to how much it would have cost to park in the average parking lots near the fair considering that many of them were charging about $12 for parking).  

Picture of geese at the fair.  There were several of them.  On the second time I went through they seemed to be a bit restless.

Picture of white ducks

Picture of a random horse in the horse barn area.  I feel kind of sorry for them considering that they are behind large cages like this one.  Interestingly the fair seems to have a wierd policy that you can't most of the animals there with signs warning people not to touch animals for health reasons.  Though I found that you could put your hand by the bars and let the horses sniff your hand if you want.




Another horse at the horse barn.  The horse barn is huge there with lots of horses to view.

Sleeping cat at the cat barn.  By the way, the fair did not have a dog barn when I was there. though they seemed to rotate dogs and cats on seperate days.  According to the fair brochure, dogs should make an appearance later on this month.

Picture of a black cat at a fair.  By the way, I am not superstitious about black cats and they can definitely be really cute.

Another cat.  There were lots of cats in the cat exhibits.  If my phone was more charged, I would have taken pictures of more of them.

Here is an indoor garden exhibit at the Northwest Tent at the fair.

Here is a giant model of a gray whale.  By the way, don't worry as this is not a real whale, just a model.

Here is a picture I took of a model the fair had of Mount Rainer and the Puyallup River valley.  Mount Rainer is huge and the biggest mountain in Washington and is also a dormant volcano.     

Visiting the cows barn.  

Here is a young cow

More cows

Picture of goats at the fair

Here is a long horn cow.  When I was at the fair, they had the Animals of the World exhibit going on (where you can see exotic animals from aroudn the world), and I bet you don't see cows like this one very often.  It is interesting how the fair was hosting the Animals of the world exhibits during the first weekend of the fair considering that they usually host it during the last weekend of the fair.

Here is a picture I took of a Yak at the fair.  Though you can't see it in this picture, there was a chain fence between me and the Yak so I could not get a closer picture of it.  I think it was there to keep people from touching the animals.

Here is a cool license plate.  Cadayak.  Thee was also a thing that talks about Yaks too. 

Here is a Zebra at the Washington State Fair.  

More horses at the fair (these ones were at the Animal of the World exhibit).  I bet they like having more freedom of movement than the ones at the horse barn did considering that the other ones were behind large cages.

Picture of a parrot at the fair.  You know what was funny: I actually tried to get the bird to say "smile for the camera" considering that some parrots can mimic human languages, but nothing happened.

Picture of a baby alpaca

Llama at the fair

Picture of a baby kangaroo at the fair.

Emu at the fair.  There were actually 2 of them in the pen, but I was only able to get a shot of one of them.

Not sure what kind of bird this is

Picture of a camel at the fair.  There was also a baby camel there, but I wasn't able to get a picture of it due having low battery in my phone.  By the way, they were offering camel rides on Sunday.  Not sure if the camel will be there next weekend though since I think it might be a part of the Animals of the World exhibit.

Picture of some of the food vendor booths.  Food was a bit pricey at the fair this time around (even fish and chips along with a soda costed me $15) so I had to be selective on where to buy food.  If you plan to buy food at the Washington State fair, expect to pay up to $10 or more.  If you are looking to buy cheaper food, you might want to consider stopping for fast food on the way.

Water fountain at the fair with a model fish in the back ground.

Make shift Saloon Style bar at the fair.  Definitely a good place to have a cold beer or wine before continuing on at the fair.  By the way, they do card you on the way in (keeping kids out of course).  

Couldn't resist taking pictures of these neo signs.

Looks like a Lego style model of the Space Needle.  Definitely iconic of the Seattle area.

Here is another model of the space needle with a picture of Mount Rainer in the background.  By the way, though I have lived in the Seattle area for over 20 years now, I've only been to the top once and that was back when I turned 12 (back in 1994).  Definitely due to visiting the Space Needle again sometime.  Hopfully I can go there at least once more before my family moves to Oregon (probably the Bend area) in a few years from now.  By the way, my brother Brett already lives in Oregon (near Portland to be exact), along with his girlfriend (and soon to be wife) Jocelyn, along with my aunt and uncle (Sandy and Helen) and my cousin Christian and his wife, Margaret (my aunt and uncle live near downtown Portland, while Christian and Margaret live in the Lake Oswego area).

Animals of the World sign.  

Picture of one of 3 vision dome tents.  The long line was for the video game vision dome exhibit which turned out to be a 3d version of the classic game, Asteroids shooter where you control these "guns" with a touch screen pad and try to shoot asteroids.  My only complaint about that one is that the controls seemed to lag alot.  Definitely not as good as say Xbox 360 and Xbox One.   Hopefully the exhibit will improve over time.  Though I didn't get pictures of the other tents, there were 2 other tents including one big one to the left of this tent that basically showed a documentary talking about man kind and our achievements.  There was also one behind me that showed a virtual flight tour of various landscapes and cities of the world, including deserts, cities (such as New York, London and Paris), along with other landscapes and towns.  To get in to the exhibit you had to buy tickets that sold for $6 each.  Note that this was around the time my camera phone's battery died so I wasn't able to get any more pictures after this one.   

Well those are all of the pictures I took (at least before my phone died).  If any of you have pictures or videos of the Washington State (Puyallup) fair that you want to share, feel free to let me know and I will post them.

Quick review of the Puyallup fair:

Things I liked:
- Definitely bigger than the Evergreen State fair, with more things to see and do.
- Lots of rides to choose from.  Someday I want to go on the rides again, but I will have to to wait till I have more money for it.
- They do have a petting zoo
- I liked the hypnotist they had there
- Liked the Animals of the Wold and Inspiration Dome exhibits
- Lots of food vendors to choose from.

Negative aspects:
- Traffic.  Lots of people at the fair, so expect traffic going there.  Same goes for lines, finding parking, etc.  Luckily there are shuttles that you can take to get to the fair if you don't want to try and find parking.
- Rules that say you can't pet any of the animals.  Seems like a dumb rule to me (though it appears health is an issue there).  Sure some animals should not be touched, but they could make some exceptions.  Also, the petting zoo area could be bigger with more baby animals like cows, goats, etc.
- Seems to be a bit more expensive than the Evergreen State fair.  You will defiitely need to bring $40 or more for your visits.  Costs include: parking (unless you are taking a shuttle) with many spots selling for $12 for a day, food (expect to spend at least $10 or more for meals), certain exhibits (such as the Inspiration Dome exhibits), rides (if you plan to do them, which includes the gondala and roller coasters by the way), shopping (if you plan to shop, especially in the areas where they have all of those vendors, some of who will try to sell you stuff you may or may not want), and concerts if you plan to attend them.  By the way, you can buy tickets online if you don't want to buy them at the gates.

Well that is all for now and hope you have liked this post.

Please feel free to like and share this post.

Do you have comments you want to share?  Feel free to leave comments below

-Ryan Jones



Comments